Monday, June 25, 2012

Green Bean Casserole

This is my version of Green Bean Casserole!  I'm ashamed to admit that I was grown and married before I ever tasted a Green Bean Casserole.  I wasn't impressed.  I thought it was salty and runny.  Then my brother-in-law's girlfriend Magan made it for a family holiday dinner.  I liked it.  I was inspired!

I compared a few recipes.  I picked the parts of each that I like the most, blah bling blah...and I added cheese. 

Confession:  I can eat half of this recipe in one sitting.  It's a vegetable though, so it's diet food!  My casserole, my rules!

This is serious.  Do not use canned green beans.  I beg you!  There's cheese and there's soy sauce.  Plenty of salt!  You will ruin this deliciousness with salty beans!  None of us needs to retain extra water.  

This ends today's public service announcement!



1 Bag Frozen Green Beans (16 oz steam bag)    
1 Can Cream of Mushroom Soup
¼ Cup Milk
2 Tbsp Lite Soy Sauce
1 - 2 Cups Shredded Monterey Jack or Colby Jack Cheese  
1 Small Can French Fried Onions
Pepper

Preheat oven to 350.  Microwave the bag of frozen green beans according to the instructions on the bag.  If not a steamer bag, it’s okay but the dish will need to bake much longer.  In a 9 x 13 baking dish, mix ¾ of the soup with the milk and enough soy sauce to make it appear a light caramel color.  I'm guessing at the 2 Tablespoons.  I actually shake the soy sauce about 6 to 8 times.  Add the green beans and cheese, mix to combine.  Give a couple of shakes of pepper.  Cover with a layer of French fried onions ~ don't skimp!  Those puppies aren't cheap, so buy the store brand.  They're exactly the same!
Bake for 25-30 minutes, (15 minutes more if the green beans were frozen, even longer if they were fresh), or until green beans are tender.  Increase temperature to 400 until the French fried onions are a golden brown.

Every time I see the broccoli in my freezer, I think that one day I'll dare to make a Broccoli Casserole with this recipe.  If I do, you'll be the first to know!


This is the color of the "dressing".  Like muddy creek water!





No comments:

Post a Comment