Sunday, March 11, 2012

Potato & Rivel (sick day soup)

When I was a little girl, my parents would make this soup for me when I was sick. It goes back to my dad's mom, maybe before.  Now that I'm married, I make it for my husband.  He loves it, and has even requested it when he's not sick.  But that's just blasphemy! 

Important:  Serve with raw onions on top!  This is what makes you better!
 
Soup
4-5 Potatoes, peeled & diced
1 Medium Onion
Water
Chicken Stock

Rivels
1 Egg, beaten
1 ½ Cups Flour (approximate)
Salt & Pepper

Mince ½ of the onion and set aside for later.  Dice the rest of the onion and place in a pot with the diced potatoes.  Cover with half water and half chicken stock.  Bring to a boil and continue until the potatoes are tender. 


On wax paper, mix the Rivel ingredients with your fingers until the egg is no longer sticky.  Pinch the dough into small bite-sized bits and drop into the soup.  Continue cooking a few minutes longer.  It’s okay if the potatoes start to break down.


No comments:

Post a Comment