Sunday, March 11, 2012

Green Chicken Soup


I tend to alter recipes.  Matter of fact, I have a REALLY hard time following them.  I take things out...I add things in.  If there's butter in there, stand back because I'm going to double it!  Someone special once told me that if I had my own cooking show it should be called "Adda Sticka Butta".  

This is not a family recipe, yet.  I created this soup from several others.  I picked the things about each that I loved and created a soup that has been a big hit with my guinea pigs at work (and loved by some of their young children as well)!
Ingredients

4-5 Chicken Leg Quarters or Small Whole Chicken
1 Medium Onion Diced
3 Large Potatoes Diced
3 Stalks Celery Diced
1 Cup Orzo Noodles
1 Carton Swanson Chicken Broth
3 Cubes Chicken Bouillon
4 Cups Mustard Greens Diced
4 Cups Turnip Greens Diced
½ Small Cabbage Diced
Garlic Pepper Salt (to taste)
Water


Cover chicken in water.  Sprinkle with Garlic Pepper Salt (or just salt and pepper) and boil for at least 1 hour or until tender and juices are clear when stuck with a fork (or in a Crock Pot on low for at least 6 hours).  Remove meat from the bone and tear into bite-size pieces.  Strain the broth for bones.  Return the meat to the broth.  Add the chicken stock and bouillon as needed for taste and liquid.

Add the onion, celery and cabbage.  Simmer until tender.  Add the potatoes, simmer for 15 minutes.  Add the greens and pasta.  Simmer until the greens are wilted and the pasta is tender…the longer the better!

Variation:  Any combination of greens will work – chard, spinach, escarole, or kale.  The cabbage is the best part!


No comments:

Post a Comment