Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Mary's Magical Healing Soup

Get ready people, this is the first family recipe!

I come from a very large family.  My maternal great grandmother Mary (Molly) Joseph was one of eleven children.  Her daughter, my gramma, Dorothy (Toot) grew up with 8 brothers and sisters.  There are lots of "cousins".  Even if you're not MY cousin, you're probably a cousin to someone! 

In the world of cousins, our family calls them "removed".  There are varying degrees of being removed.  First cousin once removed, or second cousin once removed.  I do not know who is what, so I call them all cousin!

My cousin Mary is the daughter of Ruth (Rudy).  Rudy and my gramma were sisters.  Mary is one of the most kind, generous and loving people I know.  I've heard that she is her mother's daughter.  I'm sad that I never knew Rudy.  I am lucky to know Mary and have her in my life, my Mimi.  Many years ago, she was on a business trip and had a bad cold.  She had this wonderful soup in a restaurant and knew she needed to recreate it at home.  It probably should have a real name, perhaps Rosemary Chicken Soup, or Carrot and Rosemary Soup.  I call it Mary's Magical Healing Soup because it truly does make you feel better.  Always curious, I wanted to know why it makes me feel better.  Why does this soup make my head feel clearer and my breathing easier?

The internet is educational...I learned that rosemary has a long history of medicinal uses.  It has been used to treat a wide range of ailments, including stomach upsets, digestive disorders and headaches. Carrots contain high levels of vitamin A, a vitamin that helps improve the strength of your immune system.  Carrots are also believed to prevent heart disease, cancer and macular degeneration, improve eyesight, and a reduced risk of stroke and diabetes.  Chicken is a good source of iron and protein, two nutrients that can help build your immunity.  Iron is important for your immunity because it helps ensure that your blood cells receive the oxygen they need to protect you from viruses or bacteria that could make you sick. A diet with sufficient amounts of protein helps your body create antibodies that can fight off illness.

This is good soup!  The carrots are sweet and the rosemary is so flavorful.  It simmers together to become a creamy wonderfully warming and relaxing dish!

8 Chicken Leg Quarters                         ½ Box Orzo Pasta
5 Lbs Carrots (from market are sweet)    Chicken Stock
3 Onions (diced)                                  Chicken Bouillon
6 Celery Stalks (diced)
Rosemary – Plastic Container in Produce Aisle
                  


In a large stock pot, cover the chicken with water.  Boil for at least 1 hour until cooked through.  Remove the chicken from the pot (reserving this homemade broth) and remove the meat from the bone.  Cut or tear into bite sized pieces.  Return the chicken to the broth.  (Strain the broth to make sure it's free of bones and other gunk)

Shred 3 carrots into the stock pot and add the celery and onions.  Add the remaining carrots into the pot cut into large pieces.  Smash the carrots into smaller bits as they get soft.  Add all of the rosemary leaves or keep some aside in an herb strainer to remove before serving.  Add the pasta and follow the cooking time on the box.  Add chicken stock and extra bouillon as needed for liquid and taste!

No comments:

Post a Comment