Friday, January 3, 2014

Spaghetti Soup


I grew up eating this soup! It reminds me of my childhood.  It's one of Grandma Emig's recipes that Dad often made.  I know that it makes my big sister Buffy smile too.  I don't make it exactly like Dad. He doesn't add onions, and he adds the hamburger to the liquid after cooking the potatoes and cabbage. Plus, I add beef or chicken stock to EVERYTHING, so I added some beef stock.

I'm a firm believer that cabbage makes everything better. This soup is no exception and never disappoints! Unfortunately I lost my mind this time and took no pictures! Next time I make it, I'll add pics!  Promise!


Lb Ground Beef
½ Medium Onion (Diced)
½ Head of Cabbage (Chopped)
3 Cups Potatoes (Diced)
1 Carton Beef Stock plus Water
1 Qt. Tomato Juice
14.5 Oz. Can Diced Tomatoes
½ Lb Thin Spaghetti
Salt and Pepper
Sugar

Sauté the ground beef and onions in a large stock pot, breaking the meat up into bite sized pieces.  Do not fry it brown.  Add the cabbage, potatoes and beef stock.  Refill the stock carton with water and add it to the pot, as many times as it takes to cover the cabbage and potatoes.  Add the tomato products. Simmer until the cabbage and potatoes are tender. Add the spaghetti (broken into smaller sections).  Salt and pepper to taste.  Continue to simmer until the spaghetti is soft (the longer the better).  The sugar is by preference and will depend on how tart the tomato products are.  I don't think Dad adds sugar but I felt it needed some in my last batch!

I hope you enjoy this family favorite as much as we do!

Updated photo!

No comments:

Post a Comment