Saturday, January 4, 2014

Potato Cakes

Most things I think I don't like to eat, if I try again, chances are I'll become obsessed with it!  Kind of like, most things I worry about never happen anyway!





The lesson here?  If at first you don't succeed, try and try again!  Potato cakes are one of those foods.  When I was a kid, I didn't turn my nose up to much.  My parents passed onto me a love of food.  

Even still, I would turn my nose up to potato cakes.  Mashed potatoes mixed with other yummy goodness and fried.  I was young.  I was stupid.  Now, my husband and I get excited about a meal if there's a chance of leftover mash taties because we know there are potato cakes in our future!

Mom gave me the basic recipe.  It's hard to mess these up!  You can add or take away to your preference, the base is always the same.  Leftover mashed potatoes, flour and egg.

2 Cups Leftover Mashed Potatoes
1 Egg
1/2 Medium Onion (diced small)
2 Tbsp (heaping) Flour
Parsley
Salt and Pepper
Oil for frying

I store my leftover mash taties in a plastic container larger than needed and mix the cakes right in there.     To the cold potatoes, add the egg, onion, flour, big pinch of parsley, salt and pepper.  I've also added garlic powder or ranch seasoning.  The combinations are endless!  A co-worker told me the other day that she adds her leftover corn.  Whatever floats yer boat!

Mix all ingredients.  It should not be runny, it won't hold up while frying.  If it's runny, add more flour.  If it's dry (like cookie dough), you can add a splash of milk.

My parents make these pretty big, about the size of your fist.  I've been making them smaller, bite sized.  It's all about preference.  I think the small ones stay together better and are easier to turn. 

Heat oil in a frying pan.  Drop by spoonfuls into the grease.  Fry to a golden brown before turning.  Continue frying both sides until they are nice and golden brown!  Enjoy another taste of my childhood (that I didn't know I was missing)!


No comments:

Post a Comment