Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Individual Apple Crisp

First, let me say that I can take no credit for this dessert. Except for the part where I don't measure anything and use way too much sugar and butter! I owe it all to Iowa Girl Eats. I may have a food crush on her. Her version is only 250 calories. If you'd prefer that better-for-you version or if you would like some actual measurements, I won't be offended if you want to leave and make IGE's Individual Toffee Apple Crisp recipe instead. It can be found here... http://iowagirleats.com/tag/apple-crisp/

For all of you who stuck around, there's butter. And brown sugar. And very little measuring and a whole lot of dumping! We snack on these a lot at our house. I guess the diet-friendly part is that when it's all, it's all. That's very York County of me, I know.

Here goes!

1 Apple
Half a spoonful of Flour, Sugar & Cinnamon (equal parts)
Brown Sugar
Quick Oats
Cold Butter
Toffee Bits

Preheat oven to 375*. Spray a small individual-sized baking dish with cooking spray. Peel and dice the apple into the baking dish. Toss with flour, sugar and cinnamon.

Next I get all lazy on this recipe. You "should" mix and combine and do the right thing by the remaining ingredients (including flour). I don't.

Here's what I do! Sprinkle some toffee bits over the apple pieces. I make sure there will be at least a few bits in each bite. Very scientific, I know! Next, sprinkle with the quick oats until the top is just covered and there's oats in the little nooks. Brown sugar, sigh. I crumble brown sugar over the top of the oats. It must cover the oats! Okay, next is the butter. It must be cold. I use a sharp knife and make extremely thin shavings until I've covered all of the brown sugar. My goal is to keep it to 1 tablespoon but it never happens. If you want diet food you're in the wrong neighborhood!

Bake for 20 minutes. Then I broil on low (about 6" from the broiler) to get a little crunch on the brown sugar. Do this for about 5 minutes. Do. Not. Walk. Away. You do not want to burn this wonderful caramelly crunchy sweet goodness! You'll know it's ready when the edges are bubbly and it makes a tapping sound when you tap it with a spoon.

We eat this from oven mitts. It's too good to wait, and that's just how we roll ~ renegades!

No comments:

Post a Comment